10.09.2012

Advocacy & Awareness

I've been honored to contribute guest posts to two different sites this month for Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness.  Please read and share them:

Life After NICU - offering support to families through all stages of their NICU experience and well beyond discharge day.  They have a blog and very active Facebook page.


Loving October, Living my Purpose

I love October.  Of all the seasons, Autumn is my favorite.  I love the crisp, fresh air that greets me in the morning when I step outside.  I love to pull my sweaters off of the shelves in my closet.  I love wearing my boots and hearing the crunch of the orange and yellow leaves under my feet.  I love pumpkin patches, state fairs, and hot apple cider.  While Autumn is the time of year when nature begins to wither away, I feel energized by the perfect sunny days that get me back outside after the sticky heat of the deep south.

October holds fond memories for me when significant experiences have occurred.  In 1998 my husband and I married on one of those perfect cool Autumn days in North Carolina.  If I could have hand picked the weather for that day, I would have picked exactly what we got.  Fast-forward nine years to October 7, 2007 when I finally got that wheelchair ride out of the hospital with the last of my triplet daughters, Zoe Rose.  My girls were born 15 weeks early and while Zoe’s sisters, Avery and Lily, spent 120 days in the NICU, Zoe was a much different baby with a far more complicated NICU course that lasted 291 days. Read the complete post 


National Premature Infant Health Coalition - a collaborative of professional, clinical, community health, and family support organizations focused on improving the lives of premature infants and their families.  Visit their website and Facebook page.


I usually like to remain in control.  I like to plan ahead and I love having a schedule.  Nothing gives me more satisfaction than making a list and then taking my dark brown sharpie and marking through one of my tasks.  When half my list is done, it’s time to start a new list on a fresh, clean piece of paper.  Control.  Having a plan and a purpose.  It really is just an illusion though, false security.  Any parent of a preemie or parent who has lost a child will tell you that and yet we may find ourselves grasping desperately for something to give us that security back, that sense of purpose.  While we may have once seen our lives laid out before us, after the trauma of loss or an extremely early birth, the future turns from high definition to fuzzy and unfocused.  How do we get life back into focus?  How do we find ourselves in a place where we can once again feel secure and grounded? Read the complete post

No comments:

All time favorite video of Zoe!

Popular Posts

Bible verses that comfort me

"Yes, we are fully confident, and we would rather be away from these earthly bodies, for then we will be at home with the Lord."
~ 2 Corinthians 5:8

"Let the children come to me. Don't stop them! For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are like these children....Then he took the children in his arms and placed his hands on their heads and blessed them"
~ Mark10:14 & 10:16

"...those who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint"~ Isaiah40:31